Steelcase was founded as the Metal Office Furniture Company in 1912 in Grand Rapids, Michigan by Peter M. Wege, a veteran of the sheet metal and fireproofing industry. The Metal Office Furniture Company’s first products included fireproof metal safes and four-drawer filing cabinets, which Wege invented.
In 1914, the company received its first product patent for “The Victor,” a fireproof steel wastebasket that was popular for its ability to prevent office fires, often started by discarded cigarettes. Soon after, the company began manufacturing and distributing steel desks. In 1937, the company collaborated with Frank Lloyd Wright on office furniture for the Johnson Wax Headquarters, leading to the design of some of the first modern workstations.
The company officially changed its name to Steelcase, Inc. in 1954. Since then, Steelcase has become the largest and leading manufacturer in the Contract Furniture Industry. In 1973, the company delivered the largest single furniture shipment to the new Sears Tower in Chicago. The delivery included 43,565 pieces of furniture and furnished 44 floors. Systems furniture line Steelcase 9000 was introduced that same year.
Over the years Steelcase has acquired numerous smaller furniture, design, and business related technology companies. Today the Steelcase portfolio is anchored by core brands Steelcase, Coalesse, and Turnstone.
Our inventory frequently includes Steelcase Leap, Think, Amia, and Cobi chairs, Answer and Avenir systems furniture, and a variety of Coalesse and Turnstone pieces.